The WFCA Category Committee has proposed the following rule changes to be voted on at the 2015 WFCA Fall Meeting on September 12.
1. 2015-16 Category Topics
All were approved without modification.
Proposal: Propose the 2016 topics for Moments in History, Special Occasion, and Storytelling.
Moments in History
1940s or 1450-1650 (individual student's choice)
1. a speech at a charity event
2. a speech to the United Nations
3. a speech at a self-help seminar
4. a political victory or concession speech
1. a Latin American story
2. a story about a holiday
3. a story about a quest
4. a story about a force of nature
2. Farrago Proposal:
Approved without modification.
Clarify the flexibility that students have in how to structure a farrago performance in terms of source citation and whether or not to use transitional introductions. To accomplish this, the WFCA category rules would be amended with the following changes:
Rules for Farrago
2. An introduction, which includes titles, authors, [establishes the] tone and theme is required, and along with any necessary transitions [,if any are used], is to be presented without the use of notes. [All selections must be verbally identified by title and author. It is at the presenter's discretion where, when, and how to accomplish those identifications.] The introduction must be the original work of the speaker. The presentation may begin with a read portion of the selected material prior to the presenter’s personal introduction. The student must identify the genre of each selection presented.